The Communication Skills for Breastfeeding Support Workshop provides an approach to communicating with breastfeeding families in a supportive and empowering manner. *IBCLCs, health professionals, peer supporters, and other participants* will learn to show empathy and encourage families they work with to find solutions. The program is consistent with La Leche League philosophy and its approach to communication; for instance, participants are encouraged to respect and support the family's choices, and to offer options rather than advice.
At the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- understand the importance of good communication skills when interacting with breastfeeding families
- ask questions to gather necessary and helpful information in order to support breastfeeding
- demonstrate several basic techniques of communication to enhance support for breastfeeding families (listening attentively, validating, reflecting feelings, showing empathy, summarizing and reframing)
- share information and offer suggestions without giving advice
- identify situations in which breastfeeding mothers and families need additional or different kinds of help, and identify the appropriate sources of support in their local communities
- understand their role in the continuum of breastfeeding support and the importance of working together in the community
- provide feedback and suggestions to advance the program material
For More Information
For more information about this program, please see the detailed brochure HERE.
To enquire about hosting a group workshop or inservice, please contact Jo-Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Workshops and Registration
Communication Skills for Breastfeeding Support November 30, Dec 1 and 2, 2020 3pm to 5 pm EST
To register: CLICK HERE
What Previous Attendees have to say:
- The importance of connecting, communicating to identify feelings.”
- [How to] Empower women.”
- How communication is so important.”
- [To] Engage partners.”
- [How to] Provide suggestions, not advice.”