The Communication Skills for Breastfeeding Support Workshop provides an approach to communicating with breastfeeding families in a supportive and empowering manner. Participants will learn to show empathy and encourage families they work with to find solutions. The program is consistent with La Leche League philosophy and its approach to communication; for instance, participants are encouraged to respect and support the family's choices, and to offer options rather than advice.
At the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- understand the importance of good communication skills when interacting with breastfeeding families
- ask questions to gather necessary and helpful information in order to support breastfeeding
- demonstrate several basic techniques of communication to enhance support for breastfeeding families (listening attentively, validating, reflecting feelings, showing empathy, summarizing and reframing)
- share information and offer suggestions without giving advice
- identify situations in which breastfeeding mothers and families need additional or different kinds of help, and identify the appropriate sources of support in their local communities
- understand their role in the continuum of breastfeeding support and the importance of working together in the community
- provide feedback and suggestions to advance the program material
For More Information
For more information about this program, please see the detailed brochure HERE.
To enquire about hosting a group workshop or inservice, please contact Jo-Anne at email@example.com.
Upcoming Workshops and Registration
Communication Skills for Breastfeeding Support
October 4, 2019 9am to 4pm in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
For Registration and more information, please visit HERE
What Previous Attendees have to say:
- The importance of connecting, communicating to identify feelings.”
- [How to] Empower women.”
- How communication is so important.”
- [To] Engage partners.”
- [How to] Provide suggestions, not advice.”