National Breastfeeding Week Celebrations
In Canada, we celebrate National Breastfeeding Week this year from October 1st to 7th, but many communities will start celebrations on Saturday September 29th. For 2018, the theme as chosen by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) is: Breastfeeding: Foundation of Life
For more details visit HERE
This year La Leche League Canada is sharing knowledge about the early days of breastfeeding, chestfeeding, and human milk feeding to continue the Foundation of Life theme from World Breastfeeding Week 2018 in August.
- know your colostrum - click here to find out more
- establish your supply - click here to find out more
- fill baby's tummy - click here to find out more
- heal yourself - click here to find out more
- get free LLLC support - click here to find out more
For more information and frequently asked questions click here.
For additional information sheets click here.
Celebrate by attending an event
There were events happening all over Canada and we hope you were able to participate in events in your community. Quintessence has a large listing of events across Canada and each year and you can click here to search by province.
Some local La Leche League Canada Groups and Area Chapters also hosted events such as this one from LLLC Newmarket in Ontario Saturday October 6th with guest speakers. Dr Jack Newman spoke about 'What You Really Need to Know about Breastfeeding' and Michelle Branco spoe about 'Nourish and nurture: how parenting in disasters shows us what really matters'.
Other ways to celebrate?
- share your story with us for future publication by clicking here
- make a donation in support of breastfeeding here
- enter our 2018 photo contest
Thank you to everyone who entered our 2018 photo contest. We received so many wonderful entries that we asked our Leaders across Canada to help us choose the winners by voting anonymously on all of the photo submissions.
CONGRATULATIONS to our grand prize winner, Cyndel Thomson!
Cyndel has won a $75 credit towards custom made MOD shirt nursing wear by Bewitching Stitchery (MOD = Milk On Demand)
Congratulations as well to our Runner up winner who will receive an autographed copy of 'The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding', an unsigned copy of 'Sweet Sleep', a La Leche League Canada tote bag and pin.
Lena for her breastfeeding pitstop while hiking a mountain
- contest closed as of midnight November 15, 2018
Rules & Regulations;
- entrants must be submitted by a consenting adult over the age of 18 years old
- open to all Canadian residents (outside of the province of Quebec)
- photos can be of any breastfeeding, chestfeeding, human milk feeding, baby, baby and parent, or family content
- photos can be submitted via our online photo submission form by clicking here, or by sending the photos and completed waivers together directly to email@example.com
- photos shared on social media will not be considered as a submission to this contest, as it is difficult to track entries or see them all if not shared publicly from a private account
- a signed photo waiver must be submitted with each entry and you can download a copy by clicking here; when submitting a photo taken by you, you agree that it is your own image and that the subject(s), people in the photo, have given their consent to release the photo publicly; photo waivers are required for contact information to connect with the chosen winner(s)
- if you are submitting a photo as a photographer, please ensure you have both the subject(s) waiver completed as well as the photographer photo release form submitted with each entry and you can download a copy of the photographer form by clicking here; photographer release forms are required for contact information to connect with the chosen winner(s)
- contest entry closes November 15, 2018 at 11:59pm and winners will be announced in late November
- any inappropriate submissions, or social media tags, including but not limited to mature or explicit content, will result in the entrant being removed from the contest
for questions or issues with your submissions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org