La Leche League Canada is an Affiliate of La Leche League International. We share a common purpose and philosophy. The basic philosophy of La Leche League is expressed in The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and summarized in the following concepts.
- Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
- Human milk is the natural food for babies, uniquely meeting their changing needs.
- Alert, active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying breastfeeding relationship and reliable milk production.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby’s father. A father’s unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child’s development from early infancy.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, human milk is the only food necessary until baby shows signs of readiness for complementary foods, about the middle of the first year after birth. Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the child outgrows the need.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance, which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.